• Cancer: The symptoms are bad breath, lethargy, rapid weight loss, sudden lameness, loss or decrease of appetite and difficulty in breathing or urinating. The cancer is much more common in older dogs. Mainly Boston terrier, Golden Retrievers and Boxers are the breeds which develop tumor and in Great Danes and Saint Bernard breed bone cancer is mainly found.
Treatment: Depending upon type and stage of cancer, treatment should be given. The treatment mainly includes chemotherapy, radiation, surgery and immunotherapy.
• Diabetes: This disease is mainly caused due to lack of insulin hormone or inadequate response of insulin. The symptoms are lethargy, vomiting, chronic skin infections, blindness, dehydration, weight loss and increased urination. Mainly it is seen that diabetes is caused in dogs having 6-9 years of age. In Poodles, keeshonds, Dachshunds, standard and miniature Schnauzers, Samoyeds and Australian terriers breeds in which this disease is mainly found. In golden retrievers and keeshonds breeds mainly Juvenile diabetes are found.
Treatment: Insulin injections are necessary for proper blood regulation.
• Heartworm: The symptoms are bad breathing, vomiting, coughing, weight loss and fatigue. It is mainly transmit from animal to animal through mosquitoes.
Treatment: “Adulticides” name drug is given in dog’s muscle to treat heartworm disease.
• Kennel cough: The symptoms are dry cough with a honking sound, fever and nasal discharge.
Treatment: An antimicrobial or cough suppressant is recommended to get relief from kennel cough.
• Rabies: The symptoms of rabies are hypersensitivity, fever, loss of appetite, weakness, paralysis of jaw and throat muscle, sudden death etc.
Treatment: No treatment is there to cure rabies once it appears on the dog. The disease results in sudden death.
• Parvovirus: The symptoms are loss of appetite, lethargy, sever vomiting, bloody and foul smelling diarrhea etc.
Treatment: Parvovirus vaccine is recommended to give 6-8 weeks old puppy and then as a booster is given at the age of 16-20weeks to prevent from parvovirus disease.
• Ringworm: The symptoms are lesions appear on the ear, paws, head and on forelimbs, etc. The ringworms are circular and patchy in shape. The puppies are more prone to this disease.
Treatment: Medicated shampoos or ointments are recommended to treat the ringworm.
• Canine distemper: Pups having age of 3-6 months are more susceptible to this disease. They symptoms are vomiting, cough, diarrhea and pneumonia.
Treatment: Antibiotics such as Chloramphenicol or ampicillin or gentamicin for 5-7 days.
Prevention: First vaccination should be given when pup is 7-9 weeks old and then second vaccination is given when pup is 12-14 weeks old.
• Leptospirosis: It is a bacterial disease which is caused by Leptospira canicola and Leptospira icterohaemorrhagica. The symptoms are rise in body temperature, vomiting and uremia.
Treatment: Streptomycine @25mg/kg of body weight should be given to treat this disease.